- "A joke a day keeps the gloom away!"
- ―The Joker[src]
The Joker is a criminal mastermind and one of the Dynamic Duo's four most recurring foes, along with the Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman. His modus operandi consists of pranks and jokes committed amidst his crimes. He appears to be an older man in his late 50's, with pale skin, green hair and red lips. Joker always appears this way, even when he's incarcerated in Gotham State Penitentiary with other prisoners. His behavior is similar to the Riddler, but he seems not to care as much for outwitting Batman.
Nothing is known about the Joker. His real name and past are a mystery even to the Gotham City Police Department. At one time, he claimed to be a hypnotist when he was younger, later turning to a criminal career. He has clashed several times with the Dynamic Duo, trying to defeat and kill them, but always defeated by their resourcefulness. In crimes, he has allied himself with lesser criminals and minions, and even with other costumes criminals, such as the Penguin and even as part of a group, with the Penguin, Riddler and Catwoman.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Egghead and Shame used laughing gas as a weapon but for reasons unknown Joker never did. He did have Joker knock-out gas, however.
- Romero refused to shave off his famous mustache for the part of the Joker, so there are many times throughout the series that you can see it beneath his white makeup.
- Unlike modern depictions, the Joker is mostly harmless and has no special relationship with Batman as his "arch-nemesis" or anything like that.
- Of all the villains of the series, the Joker is perhaps the most keen to unmask Batman while caught in a death trap. However, he is not one of the two villains who manage to discover Batman's secret identity (namely, Egghead and King Tut although the Penguin might have come close in his encounters with Alfred). The closest he ever came was when he tried robbing Wayne Manor, accidentally found the secret entrance to the Batcave and slid down the pole, though prevented from reaching the Batcave when Alfred activated an emergency bat lift under the pole several times. The Joker was so terrified going up and down he never realized that he almost came within a hair width of exposing Batman and Robin.
- Joker sometimes tried to one-up Batman, he used a Jokermobile drag racer which violated hundred of Gotham traffic regulations; he also once made his own unity belt full of gags.